Tuesday 28 October 2008

Farewell dear Garry


I came home tonight ready for a bit of soothing fish swimming action after a hard day at work, and was greeted with a new level of inactivity from Garry. Yep, this time he really wasn't sleeping. Funnily enough he wasn't floating either. There was also a little tetra stuck to the filter. I presume it was less likely misadventure, and that he was another victim to the the Garry disease.


Poor Garry. He lasted just over 24 hours. But what a beautiful, short time we had together. I think for the record he had Ichthyophthirius, the dreaded white spot disease, and I suspect he has now contaminated the rest of the tank. Of course 5+ years of veterinary book-learning and I of course poo-pooed the idea of actually quarantining new fish before introducing them to the existing tank, so it probably serves me right.


I was all ready to perform a post mortem to confirm my diagnosis, but Petey put a brake on that little idea by insinuating that I really know nothing about fish innards, which is a good point, although I indignantly responded that I might know what I was looking at if I saw it. I guess i'd really rather remember Garry as he was anyway. It also seems in such poor taste to post mortem a fish with a steak knife on the kitchen bench. So here is Garry in all his glory. We will remember you buddy.


No comments: